Spring 2017 Economics Commencement Ceremony
The Economics faculty and staff invite graduates and their guests to attend the department’s graduation ceremony and reception on Monday, June 19, 2017 at 12:30pm on the Knight Library South Lawn, which is located behind the Knight Library (close to Flower Booth #5 on the commencement map here). If graduates or guests need special accommodations, please notify the department at (541) 346-8845.
Undergraduate students finishing all their Bachelor’s Degree requirements, including economics coursework, this academic year (Fall 2016, Winter 2017, Spring 2017, or Summer 2017) are welcome to participate in the ceremony. Be sure to complete the department’s undergraduate commencement registration form (here) if you plan to walk in the economics ceremony.
- Students finishing all of their Bachelor’s Degree requirements for the following terms are welcome to participate: Fall 2016, Winter 2016, Spring 2017, Summer 2017
- Register for the ceremony by June 5th and only fill out this registration form once.
- If Spring 2017 is your last term as a student, make sure you apply for your degree on DuckWeb by the April 30th deadline.
- Please review your Graduation Checklist.
- All Doctoral and Masters graduates should contact the main office.
This ceremony is for both economics undergraduate and graduate. Graduating students will be individually recognized. The ceremony will be approximately one and a half hours long, and a reception with refreshments will follow.
Ceremony Location: Knight Library South Lawn.
Our department event is an outdoor ceremony where shade or covering may not be readily available; please plan accordingly. The ceremony will be held rain or shine. The venue behind the Knight Library and is close to flower booth #5 listed on this map.
Tickets are not required or available for our departmental ceremony. More information about our location can be found on the UO Commencement website.
Parking on campus is very limited. The University will provide free shuttle buses from Autzen Stadium to the main campus. It is strongly suggested that commencement guests park at Autzen Stadium and ride the shuttle bus. Parking and shuttle information is available on the UO commencement website.
What to Expect as a Graduate During the Ceremony:
- Graduates must arrive at least 30 minutes before the ceremony starts. Pick up your name card and then start forming two lines in the courtyard of PLC. To ensure you are sitting with your walking buddy, they must be in front of behind you in that line as our graduates make their entrance into the ceremony in two lines.
- Ushers will direct each row of graduates when to rise and proceed to the stage. When you get on to the stage, hand your name card to the faculty member at the podium to be read. Walk across the stage to the department head (Professor Kolpin) who will present your diploma cover to you. Take the cover with your left hand and shake hands with your right hand. A photographer will take your picture a few feet away from the base of the stairs once you get off the stage. Please proceed through this area in an orderly manner.
- After departing the stage and the photo area, please return to your seat and follow the ushers as they will be guiding you back to your row. At the closing of the ceremony, you will be instructed to “flip the tassel” to the left side of your cap.
- There will be light refreshments provided after the ceremony. Be sure to get some photographs taken with your friends or with influential faculty members before you leave!
University Graduation Celebration
We encourage graduates and their guests to also attend the University Graduation Celebration beginning with an academic parade to the Matthew Knight Arena at 9:00 a.m. Details regarding this celebration are available from the Office of Student Life.
Regalia, Pictures and Announcements
Regalia (cap, gown, and tassel) is required and can be ordered from the University of Oregon Duck Store beginning in early April. The Duck Store will be hosting a Grad Fair to assist students with regalia selection and graduation announcements. Grad Images will photograph all graduates at the ceremony and in various locations across campus.