Why get an internship?
One of the benefits of being a student is having the flexibility to try different career paths through internship opportunities. Many times internships can lead to job offers, because it gives companies the chance to evaluate your potential. It allows you to figure out what you like and what you don’t like. And, an internship helps you network and build professional contacts.
Academic credit for internships
You can receive EC 404 credit for an appropriate internship experience. Majors can receive up to 2 credits that will count as 2 of the 28 upper division elective credits for their major. To do so, you need to first find an internship opportunity. You may find one using the links below, or by investigating companies that interest you.
Once you have an internship opportunity lined up, you can get credit by first filling out the Internship Proposal Form with your internship supervisor and turning this in to the Economics Department Director of Undergraduate Studies for approval. Once approved, you can register for the credits and complete the internship and the assignments described in the EC 404 Syllabus to receive credit. Typically, it is required that you do 3 hours of work per week for a 10-week term for each academic credit you wish to receive.
Please be aware that to receive approval of an internship for academic credit you will need to explain how this opportunity is an internship, not a regular job. The difference is that an internship is intended to give you training, supervision, and experiences that help you understand the associated career path that extend beyond this particular work experience.
Sites related to discovering internships
- University of Oregon Career Center
- DC Internships
- Non-Profit Organizations
- Government Jobs
Examples of recent internships by UO economics majors:
- Business Analyst, Boeing Corporation, Seattle, WA
- Financial Analyst Intern, Marsh Co., Portland, OR
- Intern, Merrill Lynch, Portland, OR
- Marketing Technician, Fundacion Jatun Sacha, Quito, Ecuador
- Financial Consultant Intern, Saloman Smith Barney, Eugene, OR
- Logistics Intern, Jacobs Engineering, Anchorage, AK
- Marketing Associate, A.G. Edwards, Eugene, OR
- Intern, Wetdawg.com, Eugene, OR
- Suite and Preferred Services Intern, Portland Trailblazers, Portland, OR
- Retail Management Intern, Target Corp., Eugene/Portland, OR
- Junior Analyst, Integra Funds, Chicago, IL
- Technical Assistant, ECONorthwest, Eugene, OR
- Sales Representative, Brasher’s Auto Auctions, Eugene, OR