How to Apply
Candidates for admission to the Ph.D. program must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year university, have substantial knowledge of intermediate economic theory, micro and macro, and calculus I, II, III including several or multi-variable calculus, elementary linear algebra, and statistics. Elementary analysis is recommended. Strong grades in economics and mathematics courses, as well as academic potential, will be important to the admissions committee.
Required application materials:
- UO online Graduate Application. You can pay the application fees ($70 domestic applicants, $90 international applicants) by credit card or check.
- One set of official transcripts from all colleges or universities where you received a bachelor’s or subsequent degree, sent to the Office of Admissions, 1217 University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon 97403-1217 USA. If your degree institutions offer official electronic copies you may have them sent to email@example.com directly from the institution. These are subject to review and verification of authenticity. More information.
- Three letters of recommendation from references who can evaluate your academic potential. Provide email addresses of your recommenders in the online application.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test scores sent from the testing center. The UO’s institution code is 4846; Economics Department code is 1801.
- International students and non-native English speakers: Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test (TOEFL iBT) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores are required. Use the UO code 4846 when routing your test score.
NOTE: For consideration for admission in the Department of Economics’ Ph.D. program, these requirements apply even if the applicant holds a degree from an institution in an English-speaking country or has permanent residency in the U.S. More information.
- Brief statement of purpose or personal statement, uploaded into the online application.
- Curriculum vitae or academic resume, uploaded into the online application.
Please see this Frequently Asked Questions page for more details.
Application Deadlines for Fall 2020:
- February 1, 2020—PhD program applications (with funding)
- April 1, 2020—PhD program applications (not applying for funding)
Postal Address (for mailing of official transcripts)
UO Office of Admissions
1217 University of Oregon
Eugene, Oregon 97403-1217
Contact the Graduate Coordinator.(Due to the large volume of requests during the application season, please review the Frequently Asked Questions section before contacting the Graduate Coordinator by phone or email.)
The University of Oregon is an equal-opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. This publication will be made available in accessible formats upon request.