Econ alum profiled in CAS Spotlight

Bennet Voorhees double majored in Chinese and Economics, and now he’s using both as a data scientist.

In this CAS Spotlight, Bennet shares that “the econ program really prepared me for my career as a data science lead. It taught me a lot about systems and how people behave and react in those systems…I fell in love with the power of those tools because you can use them to explain reactions and make predictions, and that really planted the economics seed for me.”

During his time at the UO, Bennet received multiple scholarships to study abroad in Shanghai and then Beijing, and carried his love for language learning over into his career as a data scientist. Now, he has the opportunity to use both skills in conjunction for the next step in his career: as a data science lead for Merck, Bennet uses the skills he learned through his economics major, combined with his fluency in Mandarin Chinese, to do workforce analytics on our companies’ labor force in China. He also teaches introduction to data science at the New York University School of Professional Studies, in their human capital management department.

You can read more about Bennet’s career after UO Econ on the CAS Blog.