Careers in Economics – Fall Term Resources

Greetings, Economics Majors, and welcome back to Fall Term!

As you’re getting your classes in order and preparing for the 2016-17 school year, I wanted to remind you that I’ll be offering some resources in Economics Career & Advising Services to support your ongoing career development.

Careers in Social Sciences (October 10th, 2016)

I’m quite excited to be organizing this.  Mark your calendar for Monday, October 10th in the beautifully remodeled EMU.  I’ve invited a troupe of alumni back to campus for a conversation about making a successful transition from college to career. The panel discussion is designed to give you an idea of what kinds of careers are out there, how you can go about pursuing an internship or your first job, deciding whether graduate school is right for you, and really anything that you’re curious about. These Ducks have blazed trails in their respective companies, government agencies, and nonprofits and will be holding breakout sessions by major (economics, political science, sociology, and ethnic studies) to address your interests more succinctly.  The event will be catered with snacks and beverages.

When: Monday, October 10th from 6-8:30 pm

Where: Redwood Auditorium (6 pm) and breakout session rooms (7 pm)

More InfoCareers in Social Sciences Poster

The University of Oregon Economics Club

Starting Week 1, the UOEC is back in session and invites you to attend their first meeting Monday of Week 1 at 6 pm (location TBA).  This is an ideal way to connect with fellow students in the major, get to know what the faculty are researching, and contribute to ongoing projects that will build your resume, giving you credibility with employers.  Each term, the UOEC goes on a business trip, as well, and these are always a great time.  To top it off, there are opportunities for leadership, both formal and informal, in the organization, so I strongly encourage you to participate this term!

When: Mondays, 6-7 pm (Weeks 1-9)

Where: Location TBA (check back for updates)

More Info

The Career Success Series

Starting on Tuesday afternoons from 4-5 pm in PLC 412, I’ll be leading short workshops on career topics of interest to you.  For the first one, which will be held on September 27th, I invite you to get a jump start on fall recruiting and career fair preparation as we learn the basics of resume development.  This will not be a dry, boring lecture.  Instead, I invite you to bring your laptops and tablets and we’ll work on creating a resume, step-by-step.  Pizza will always be a highlight of these meetings, as well getting to know each of you better!

When: Tuesdays, 4-5 pm (Weeks 1-8)

Where: PLC 412

EC 407: Careers in Economics (CRN 11923)

Currently, there are about 10 spots remaining in my Careers in Economics class, which meets Tuesdays from 12-1:50 pm.  EC 407 is a methodical way to approach your career development, starting with an assessment that matches your interests, values, and strengths to a spectrum of career options, and continuing with practical assignments to get you ready for fall recruiting.  You’ll not only put together a resume and cover letter, you’ll learn how to effectively tailor them to each opportunity you apply for.   From LinkedIn and career fair networking to interviewing and salary negotiation, this course covers it all.

More InfoEC 407 Syllabus

UO Career Fair (November 9th, 2016)

The fall career fair is a must-attend!  Here, you’ll meet many of the decision-makers directly (recruiters, hiring managers), as well as alumni who can give insight into why they chose the job they are now working in.  As we get closer, I’ll be offering helping you to prepare for the fair through my Tuesday workshop (see above), as well as my weekly communications.

When: Wednesday, November 9th, 2016 from 12-4 pm

Where: EMU Ballroom

More Info:

The Economics Job & Internship Digest

Each week, you will be receiving fresh leads to emerging full-time, part-time, and intern roles in Oregon, Washington, California, and beyond.  You must be registered as an economics major to receive the digest, which will be delivered via your Duck email address.

Meet With a Career Advisor

That’s me!  My office hours this term are Monday, Thursday, and Friday from 9 am to 3 pm.  Send me an email ( to schedule an appointment or stop by PLC 405.  In addition, there are career specialists in the UO Career Center ( who stand ready to assist you with your needs.  I look forward to assisting you in the weeks ahead.

Bill Sherman

Director of Career & Advising Services

Department of Economics

College of Arts & Sciences

University of Oregon