How to Apply
Candidates for admission to either the Master’s or PhD program must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year university, have substantial knowledge of intermediate economic theory, micro and macro, and calculus I, II, III including several or multi-variable calculus, elementary linear algebra, and statistics. Elementary analysis is recommended. Strong grades in economics and mathematics courses, as well as academic potential, will be important to the admissions committee.
Required application materials:
- UO online Graduate Application. You can pay the application fees by credit card or check.
- One set of official transcripts from all colleges or universities where you received a bachelor’s or any subsequent degrees. Please send by postal mail to the Office of Admissions at the address shown below. If you have questions about which transcripts to submit, visit the Graduate School’s “How to Apply” page.
- Three letters of recommendation from references who can evaluate your academic potential. Provide email addresses of your recommenders in the online application.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test scores sent from the testing center. The UO’s institution code is 4846; Economics Department code is 1801.
- Non-native English speakers: TOEFL and/or spoken English test scores are required. Please read these important qualifications to ensure you complete the necessary requirements for the program to which you are applying. Use the UO code 4846 when routing your TOEFL test score.
- Brief statement of purpose or personal statement, which you can upload into the online application.
- Curriculum vitae or academic resume, which you can upload into the online application.
Please see this Frequently Asked Questions page for more details.
Application Deadlines for Fall 2018:
- February 1, 2018—PhD program applications (with funding)
- April 1, 2018—PhD program applications (not applying for funding)
- May 1, 2018—Master’s program applications
The Fall 2017 admission cycle is closed. The application portal for Fall 2018 admission will open on November 1, 2017.
Postal Address (for mailing of official transcripts)
UO Office of Admissions
1217 University of Oregon
Eugene, Oregon 97403-1217
Contact the Graduate Coordinator.(Due to the large volume of requests during the application season, please review the Frequently Asked Questions section before contacting the Graduate Coordinator by phone or email.)
The University of Oregon is an equal-opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. This publication will be made available in accessible formats upon request.